Thursday, September 1, 2011

Week 28 - Thursday, September 1st, 2011

Dear Family and Friends,
.
I just realized that I'm a missionary! Ha! It's a strange feeling. I've been thinking about a mission for so long that it's strange to actually be here. There are just moments of clarity that hit and say "you're a missionary!" It's something I only imagine other people being that it's strange actually being a missionary. I know that's all jumbled and hard to understand but if you were on a mission right now, you'd know how I feel. :)
.
So anyways.... Questions:
do you get my pictures that I send from the Mormon Battalion? If so then you would have received a picture a week ago of me, Sis. McCloy and my new companion Sis. Hudson. :)
Mom - I was wondering if you have any of that ELF fair foundation left. If so can I have another one? I am running out of mine fast. And dad mentioned you may be sending a care package.
.
Okay, so as far as being a missionary goes... this last week was REALLY hard. And I mean I don't think I've had a harder week then last week (besides the time I had to tell Bro. Thomas that he wasn't ready for baptism and see his wife's pained expression) At the time we were trying to help our investigators and it seemed like all of them either ran away, told us they didn't want to see us, or are moving. Which is pretty accurate. But it was just challenging after working with these people for a while just to see their progression stop and not realizing if it was due to us or other forces (namely the adversary) so we got really frustrated. Especially last Sunday. Well this past Sunday Flo again told us she didn't want to meet and needed more time. That made us Really anxious. And then the other lady cancelled on us Again. Rob is now in hiding and we can never get a hold of him which is really weird, and Todd is moving back to Virginia. Yep, life is swell and on top of that everyone we talked to acted as though we weren't great missionaries because of all that was happening to us. Talk about real bummer. We came to the conclusion this Sunday that Heavenly Father is teaching us patience and is allowing us to feel the way others feel so that we can better help them.(and satan is working on us so that we don't do as much) In fact, realizing that made all the difference.
.
If we are expected to help others out of their predicaments then we must know how to help them out of it, in a way by going through similar experiences. Afterall, we cannot expect to convert others if we are not first converted ourselves. So that has made things easy on us and we've definitely been strengthaned by the Lord and your Recording (thank you family! That was one of the highlights of my week it so was so nice to hear from you - Promise I'll send it back soon) We just put in our best efforts, no matter how difficult the day was. One thing specifically we worked on was talking to everyone we see. We've met a few people because of it and although they all live out of our boundaries we get refferal karma. So we should receive refferals soon haha.
.
Well we kept trying our best and worked hard anyway, we also tried to stay optimistic. And you know what? It paid off and Heavenly Father blessed us greatly. Sometimes we have to go to the 11th hour alone, but that is when the Savior steps in and helps us through. He definitely helped us this time. Yesterday we had scheduled a time to help Flo with unpacking her art belongings and stacking them in her garage. We went over there and began helping, it was actually lots of fun and we enjoyed organizing art supplies in the heat... :) She then decided we needed a break and we all went inside to get a glass of water. we ended up talking for a long time and Sis. McCloy bore her testimony and Flo ended up telling us that she just realized that whenever something amazing is going to happen, that's usually when huge trials come. She said she knows this church is true because she's been going through really rough times, and because she's accepted that, everything is so much easier! and She's happy! And She wants to get baptized soon! She isn't even worried if her husband will be ready to baptize her or not, because she just wants to be baptized!!! I have never been so happy in my life! This really reminds me of Alma the younger's story, how he explains how terrible his suffering was and at the same time when he chose to look to the Savior and have faith, how great was his joy! In fact it was as great as his suffering had been. That's how I feel right now.
.
How great is my joy for Flo, for the hard time she's gone through and for the fact that she chose to follow the Savior even when she didn't completely understand. That is faith. :) Yesterday was amazing and we finished up by reading 2 Ne. 4:16-38, you need to read it. If Nephi was so blessed and still made mistakes and had to overcome them, how much more do I have to do? It's a great chapter. I love the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, it's just so... True!
Well after that the day went exceptionally better and it ended with us meeting with Todd and finding out that he'll be back in two weeks for a little visit and we can teach him again then!
Great Days are here again - now to talking to the other lady about her baptismal date and finding Rob again, and finding more people too. :) Life is sweet.
.
Well among all that we talked to someone from France and I've decided to have a Lot of respect for those missionaries who serve in France. I know they have a hard time and yet they keep trying anyway. Way to go!
.
Oh! this last Sunday we taught in Primary - that was interesting. It was kinda fun to be back in primary and also very tiring. They have a LOT of energy, if only I could take some of it and use it for missionary work. :)
.
I've also decided, and I may have told you before but now I've really decided, that I want to serve in the MTC. How cool would that be? Teaching all the things I've learned and helping other missionaries get a head start on the best experience of their lives. I think that would be so awesome.
.
Last random thought, promise. I've met Santa's biggest helper Ever. His name is brother Huish, he's in our ward and ever christmas time Santa comes to his house on vacation (because where else would he go on vacation but in California?) and at night he greets children. Some of his workshop is in the Huishes back yard and he allows it to snow two weeks before Christmas at their house. It's pretty amazing. The Huishes actually have an indoor Jungle. Not kidding, I've seen it. they keep it there all year long. They've blessed so many lives because of it and he has many amazing stories to share concerning his winter wonderland. It is really neat. They are great member missionaries, setting examples and telling everyone about the Gospel. :) They also told us about a girl named Jackie Evanko? if you don't know about her, look her up on I-tunes, she's the 10 year old. :) Anywho, I digress, Mission life is awesome. It's really great to serve the Lord and to come closer to Him then I've ever been before. I know He lives and loves each one of us! He is our Savior and Redeemer, our Brother and Friend, and I love Him so much.
.
I love you all and hope you are all doing splendidly! Love you!
Love Sister Maureen Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment