Thursday, November 3, 2011

Week 37 - November 3rd, 2011

Hello Everyone. This is Maureen's letter from last week. For some reason, (oh, it's because I forgot) it didn't get sent last week. Here it is now. She's doing really well, and is enjoying being a trainer. She sent pictures last week, and her area is just gorgeous. There are beautiful mountains and fantastic sunsets. Everything is green and tropical. I'm not sure she's going to want to come back to the desert! Thank you all for your love and support and prayers. Have a great week. (I went back to the correct week and posted it for that date, so it doesn't look like it's out of place. EM)
.
Dear Family and Friends,
.
For starters, Thanks mom for the package! It was so fun to get it. Funny story, so someone in our zone picks up the mail for the whole zone and I don't know who got it last Tuesday but the elders from Ramona (up north of us) grabbed my package on accident. So when I went for mail and didn't have anything I was a bit sad as I expected the package should be there. But I figured I'd get it next tuesday. So thursday rolls around and we got a strange text from some Ramona elders asking if I was there. I asked them what they needed and they said Once upon a time we stole your package and now we probably should get it to you. So Friday, I got the package at interviews with President and some Ramona elders were waiting for me to open it in front of them. they told me the only reason they stole it was so that they could see me open my package. I thought they were joking... elder England wasn't, so I opened it and I really should have played it up with my clothes but I just brought out the jelly beans and they went crazy. It was a hayday at the stake center as the elders were tossing around jelly beans. So thanks mom, you made the elders day. ;) And the outfits and candy I Love! Thanks! I sent a package last week with the recorder and my memory card from my camera FULL of pictures. So I hope you got it and enjoyed it.
.
So this past sunday, Sis. Hudson and I were asked to give a talk in church. Yes talk as in singular, solomente uno para dos personas. haha We got up together and gave a talk on sharing the gospel with others. It was a great talk with wonderful quotes and we spent a bit preparing for it But I felt like the delivery was awkward, hopefully the Spirit was able to inspire people. :) At least one person came up to us after and told us she got the message and was going to work harder. We talked about how to use Preach my Gospel, how the Spirit will speak through us as we provide the opportunities to share and open our mouths, etc. It was lots of fun preparing for the talk using so many materials Without the internet haha. We did Lots of reading. And of course we learned the most from our talk... maybe the Bishopric was trying to tell us something about our teaching skills.... :) It was good.Well yesterday morning we tried to see a former investigator that we've been trying for a while now. We decided the night before that we really need to go at 11am so we left a few minutes early from study and arrived at her house right at 11am. Well we didn't expect to get in but she was feeling really good and let us in. We talked to her for a little while about her experiences in the past and then we asked Do you know it is true? She seemed hesitant to answer so she told us a story about her experience with promptings and then about the time she was almost baptized when her husband vehemently said she could Not be baptized. She knows it is true but because of her husband she doesn't want to ruin that relationship so she hasn't been baptized. Sis. Hudson then talked about how baptism is a covenant of willingness and that God knows our struggles and won't make us do things we are physically unable to do. She said that He loves all of His children and won't make it impossible for any of us to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. She said that no missionary had told her that before; her countenance changed. She wants to Do what's right but the one problem now is her husband. She can't do anything until her husband consents, we told her we understood and that we'd still like to visit with her and help her continue on this path as much as possible. So she's meeting with us again next week. Her outlook is changed and she definitely felt the spirit while we were there. It was a really neat experience to start off our halloween. :)
.
We had a good halloween as we talked to people who were out and about and then we went to dinner at the Carpenters. Sis. Carpenter told us what she had done that day. She was so excited to share. She's talking a class online and the teacher lives in utah. Every now and then the teacher will share something about her life. Well about 6 weeks ago her daughter passed away at age 24 because of a brain tumor. She had tried to make it to Halloween as it was her favorite holdiay. As it hadn't worked out, the mother was devestated. So Sis. Carpenter scoutted out this lady's address, sent some girls from our ward up at BYU over to her house yesterday morning to pumpkin attack her house (cut out pumpkins on sticks in the lawn). And she had a company send 8 dozen balloons over to her house with a note that said Shine Bright and Fly free (which was the same message this family wrote on floating lanterns when their daughter passed away). So Sis. Carpenter tried everything she could to make this lady's day brighter And she was just floating on a cloud. She was sooo happy. It is always so neat to see someone do service and find so much joy in it. Sis. carpenter said that was the happiest she had been all week! And that it was more neat than halloween. Service really is a fuel for loving our brothers and sisters and bringing comfort to a world of so much sorrow. I love service and I hope I never lose that desire to serve others.
.
Well we had to be in by 5:30 that night so we came home and studied a book by Elder Ballard, Our search for Happiness?
.
I love you all! Keep up the good work and the missionary spirit!
Love Sister Maureen Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment