Thursday, August 4, 2011

Week 24 - Thursday, August 4th, 2011

Dear Family,
.
Oh how I love and miss you. Thank you Olivia for the reminders of your love and your jokes. ;) And I'll try to get that address sometime. I'll talk to Trevor since now I know the zone leaders who work in his ward.
.
Well! I have a lot to share and hardly any time so I'll be brief. Thanks mom for the apricot leather! I was nice and shared pieces with the others in my zone last p-day as we were all playing sports together, even though I could have ate it all in one night by myself. haha I've been trying to save it for a little while at least.
.
Poway is lots of fun! We're beginning to love it up here! It's no longer a strange far away place but a great area, with amazingly kind members and super fun missionaries. We are the only sisters up here so we hang out with the elders on p-day. Last week we played Ultimate and softball. The elders were impressed with my catching frisbee skills, which are limited and then while playing softball I had issues and ended up jamming my thumb. Fortunately it's feeling much better today :)
.
Today we went to the Midway which is a HUGE naval ship that is now a museum. It has a landing dock for planes and it's ginormous. I can't explain much more than that. It was really hard going around in a skirt especially up the narrow stairs but I survived. We went with our zone leaders and Assistants which was fun and then Becky (our recent convert) met us there and we went out to eat later. It has been a good day. :)
.
Anyway, today I've been in a really good/happy/excited mood because last night we talked with Flo and she is really hesitant about lots of things but we asked her to be baptized and she said it will happen, we're still working on the day but we are so exstatic for her! She's great and we all have grown close together, us, Flo and her less active husband. We told her that we were privileged to have met them and have them in our lives and they said they felt the same way about us. i don't know about you but that just made my day. Realizing that anywhere I go, when we work with people to come closer to Christ we come closer together and these strangers feel like family. :)
.
Okay, So Elder Ballard was awesome! He taught us that we need to be working with the members more, in fact we had the ward mission leader and bishops there with us. So we all realized the potential of working together as missionaries and ward members. We got to shake his hand at the end of the meeting as well which was really neat and I gave Sis. Ballard a hug! It was cool. What was really neat is that they didn't seem so distant, I mean Sis. Clayton got up and introduced them as their parents so in a way they seemed like any other amazing great-grandparent/speakers :) It was really neat to be a part of that.
.
Well we've been fed by members for almost every dinner, we get dessert sometimes three times a night, I hope my metabolism can keep up with all of this, so don't worry mom, I'm alive. :)
.
As for listening to impressions, I think I'm getting better at it, Every thought I get I try and act on it, whether it's go here, or text this, or call this person. So yesterday we tried following impressions but it didn't seem like anything worked till the time we met with Flo. I've realized that sometimes after lots of trials and hard times that's when miracles happen and Flo was our miracle last night. Following her meeting we went home and I felt like texting a less active about studying the Atonement, she responded and said we must be doing our job because that's exactly what she needed at that time. I love this work I know it's the right thing and that I'm doing well. I have much to improve on but I really feel so peaceful out here serving the Lord. I know it's where I need to be. :)
.
Now the only challenge is trying to work with the members. Sometimes they are so on top of things and others just don't want to help. I try not to get frustrated haha. But it's all been going well. I'll have to tell you more about what I learned next week. Know that I love you all, I'm constantly praying for you and I hope everything is going well!
.
Love Sister Maureen Davis
.
P.s. keep up that missionary spirit! it will help you a LOT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment