Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 20 - Thursday, July 7th, 2011

Okay - I'm feeling a large letter today. Just sooo much to share!
.
Answering some questions, no I don't need stamps, Yesterday was great! We saw fireworks from a distance for about a minute before returning to our room (luckily we live on a hill so we could see a lot). Sea World does do fireworks. I love San Diego and the weather, but I think I'm getting accustomed to it because I already think it's really hot and it's 85 degrees. :) It's hard to sleep at night bc sometimes it doesn't cool down enough, but I'm still getting good rest at night.
.
Sis. McCloy is great. We just found out this morning however that her brother got in an accident. He was in the canyon and his truck ended up rolling about 8 times down the mountain. Fortunately, he's alright. He needs surgery on his mouth bc he broke his jaw and his nose was ripped open, but he is going into surgery today and should be going home tonight so we're all very relieved it wasn't something worse. Sis. McCloy hopes this will help her brother not be so reckless. :) I haven't really been sick yet, just a slight cold now and then. Nothing big at all.
.
Preparation days have been good. Honestly we usually just e-mail, shop for groceries, write letters, relax and go back to work. A few weeks ago we played soccer, and we were planning on going to Old Town today but it won't work out. Maybe next week.
.
Okay as for Pres. Clayton. We met him on Thursday morning. He and his wife and and two of his daughters came to meet us. We divided into 2 zones at a time so it wasn't overwhelming for him. He told us about his family and about himself. He graduated from collage at 18... so he's pretty smart. He's an anesthesiologist and he likes to laugh. I think it's quite entertaining. Pres Donaldson hardly ever laughed. We knew he cared about us but he didn't usually use emotions to show us. So it's funny how Pres Clayton will laugh after every other sentance. :) He's really good. He's very nice and fun-loving. I'm excited to get to know him and his family better. And as you know Sis. Clayton is Elder Ballard's daughter. So guess who's coming to visit the Clayton's come August? And guess who wants to meet all the missionaries? Yeah, we're pretty excited. The Clayton's are awesome and we're really going to enjoy having them here. :)
.
Okay as for my news....
1. Happy Birthday ERIN! I can't believe you're turning 16 already. Stop growing up. ;) And be careful on the roads. I have something I'm sending, so I'm sorry if it's late. Couldn't mail it sooner. Love you!
.
2. The beginning of this week was really hard. We just haven't had investigators to teach and frankly it's been annoying. BUT, we found 2 new people this week. So that has been good. We hope to find even more as we work harder. I just have to realize I continuously need humility. That's when Heavenly Father blesses us, when we're humbled.
.
3. So one of the new investigators has been coming to church with her boyfriend for the past 2 weeks. So this past Sunday we asked to meet with her after church. We met and asked her what she wanted more than anything right now, she said she wanted to be a part of this church. She said that she felt like each time she came she was "coming home." She said she wanted to be baptized! So we invited her to be baptized promply after that comment and she'll be baptized July 17th. We are so happy. Heavenly Father definitely blessed us with a miracle. She is super sweet and we're more than excited for her. We even went to the Mormon Battalion yesterday morning to watch the Josep Smith movie. It was a really powerful experience. She's golden. :)
.
4. One thing I realized the other day is that... we shouldn't be afraid to share the Gospel bc, let's face it, Truth is on our side, and so is the Godhead. :) That's pretty much all we need. We just need it to sound enticing to others. So that's the part we're working on.
.
5. I read the Spirit of Revelation by Elder Bednar again per Granddaddy's request. ;) It was good to read it a second time and realize the things I needed to do to have that spirit with me. I love that talk.
.
6. The mission preparation class is good. Right now we're doing more practicing just so we can help the members know how to talk to their friends and prepare them for the mission. It's been really good for them. And you realize it's a lot easier than you think.
.
7. I also learned a bit about Charity recently... I've needed it, once again. I found something really neat too. 1st Peter 4:8 - read it and check the footnote. It's really true.
.
8. Again I want to share that I Love learning! It's wonderful to start off your day learning something new and being able to apply it through the day. I know that it's just that good to start the day with study and prayer, it shows Heavenly Father we're willing to put Him first and we learn what we need to do for that day too.
.
9. The Gospel is Amazing. Enough said.
.
10. I hope everyone had a good fourth of July/Independance day. It's neat to remember these inspired men who were called to bring about this great nation. I know they were inspired of God. It makes me sad to see all the people who refuse to accept God, especially in our nation, which was founded because people wanted the freedom of religion.
.
11. I think I'm beginning to figure out how to teach. We are trying to be very bold now, and get people to the next ordinance. We're going to teach more doctrine, because doctrine understood, changes attitudes and behaviors. We'll see how it goes this week.
.
12. Last but not least... I'm so happy to be on this mission. I KNOW this is where I'm supposed to be and I wouldn't be happier anywhere else then here right now. This is where I need to learn and better myself and prepare myself for the future. This is the place where I'm gaining a stronger testimony, where I get to see people's lives change for the better, where I get to use all of the gifts God has given me and use them to bless others. I love it here, and I want to be the best missionary I can be and help others come to true happiness. I love it!
.
Thanks for Everything! I love you all!
Love, Sister Maureen Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment