Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 14 - Thursday, May 19th, 2011

Dear Mother -

Life is going swell. Better this week than it has been in a long time. Dario, the one who was totally golden and ready, and who was a former Jehovah's Witness, hasn't really responded to us. For a while we were frustrated then we tried texting him the other day since he never picks up his phone, he texted back that he was at the hospital with his Mormon friend. We have no idea what happened, who was hurt, how he is doing or anything. He just thanked us for thinking about him. And we haven't heard back from him yet. As for the lady who needed a babysitter - Mariah is her gem! She loves Mariah and she is so sweet. She thanked us for finding such a wonderful girl for her and so fast too! She and her husband are Methodist, so we're going to work on her slowly. :)
.
Well this past weekend we decided we needed to find more people. After the whole switcheroo where we are now teaching only sisters and the elders teaching only the brothers, our numbers have fallen dramatically. Now we only teach two girls who both have baptism dates and they're still working towards them. They are superb sisters. They are both in the Navy. One is actually out to sea right now and won't be back until the day before her baptism. She is reading a shrunk down version of the PMG lessons. She says she's studying them and loving them still. We'll just have to get her an interview right before she's baptized. But she's golden. Becky, the other girl, has a friend in the 9th ward that decided to take her to church one day. She is absolutely golden! She actually spoke at a "Why I Believe" fireside the other night and bore her testimony that she knows this church is true. It was soooo neat to hear her and how she has been prepared for this moment! We're taking her to the Mormon Battalion tomorrow to see the new Joseph Smith movie. Have you seen it yet? It's geared to non-members so we'll see how awesome it is tomorrow! :) We're soooo excited!
.
So yesterday, we realized we needed more girls to teach. We started talking to girls who were once interested but who we hadn't talked to in a while. We got two more appointments with sisters we haven't taught yet and a possible new investigator! We're excited but NOT satisfied. :) That's President's favorite line. "Always be grateful but Never Satisfied." We like it.
.
This morning I had scripture study that I didn't think would be too important just because it's preparation day and I didn't think of what to study for yet. I've learned that God will find a way to teach us, especially when we don't expect it! Well I was reading my notes I had made about my setting apart blessing, and I realized that I had been told that if I stopped doubting and fearing that I would be able to more fully bless others. I realized that I've been way too fearful when it comes to talking to people. I thought "why am I so scared?" I realized that I am scared I won't know what to say to people, but God promises us that if we study his words we will know what we need to say in the moment we need it. (D&C 84:85) And then I thought "well these people don't want to listen to me," and I remembered that God said only the elect will hear His voice and it is them we should teach. So if they don't listen to you, be persistent, if they still don't listen, leave them with something nice, if they still don't listen some odd years down the road, there is nothing more we can really do. So I thought is there anything else I fear? I get scared that others will judge me. Then I thought, "that's just silly. Who cares what man thinks? Is he going to judge you after this life? No. So why does it matter what he thinks. We should be more concerned that we are doing everything that God wants us to do, for it will be Him (the Savior) who judges us in the end. Plus, He can give us more than man can even imagine up, just saying." :)
.
Afterward I turned to my scriptures to where I'm reading right now - Ether 12. Haha it talks all about faith and that if we have faith amazing things can happen. (Faith is mentioned 34 times in that chapter- I suppose it's somewhat important) I realized that Heavenly Father really needs me to learn faith right now, and it will take me my whole life to learn but I'm willing to start and do my best right now! I'm so excited for tomorrow now! I'm going to be working even harder.
.
I love you all and I hope you had a wonderful week and that you will have another great week! :)
Love Sister Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment