Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 2 - Monday, February 21st, 2011

Dear Family,
.
I love hearing from you! Yes, I got your valentines day package - my whole district was jealous! Thanks. :) And I'm doing fine right now. No need for more money, I haven't gotten my hep-a shot, I will this week though. And I did get the singing card. Haha I'm leaving on the 1st of March at 4am!!!! Most of our district is going - at least 5 of us from our district and then 7 others from other districts who are going to San Diego as well. Oh, and I'M the travel leader! Meaning I'm in charge of making sure everyone gets what they need, checks on their baggage and gets on the plane. It's intense. Thank heavens it's Southwest airlines though. We will have a lay-over in LA at 7:00 in the morning and then we should get to San Diego at 9am or so. I'm so nervous. I'm trying to take every advantage of the MTC as possible. I'm actually in the choir and we just learned an amazing song. Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer, I think that's what it's called. It's really good.
.
Other than that, I have not found the other cafeteria. I'm wondering if it exists... I love everything about the MTC. Especially gym - the only time we get to do anything active. I jog a few laps every now and then and the other day I sprinted a lap. It felt so good to sprint, until the next day when my legs ached. Other than running I always play 4-square. It is my new favorite sport and I'm not too bad at it. ;)
.
Well the food is adequate - the best so far is the lettuce wraps you get personalize at lunch and sorry Dad, I haven't been eating Lucky Charms - if it was just marshmallows that would be another story entirely. ;) No, I usually have Cap'n Crunch w/ berries.
.
You two are going to have sooooo much fun serving as 4th year girls camp leaders! Mom, I know you'll love it - no need to worry - just get used to sleeping in a tent that'll probably be really dirty. You can do it! ;) And good for you guys making missionary work a goal. I never realized how important member missionary work is. People may know the truth and want to follow it but unless they have a friend who'll be there, it's usually hard to continue going to church. I know you guys can do it! And dad we haven't had a general authority here yet. I'm praying for one on Tuesday bc technically that will be my last Devotional here. :(
.
I'm loving the MTC! And I'm kinda nervous to leave it but I know I'll have fun out in the field as well... just not as much fun. ;) Oh and dad I never took a drivers course bc I never needed to.
Well for my updates: I kinda need Chelsea's address at BYU. She forgot to give me a return address. If anyone wants to mail me soon they should do it by this Thursday bc all of my mail that comes after I leave I believe is thrown out. And mom can you send me those pictures of the outfits - it's nice to have a reminder, sometimes I forget what goes with what. Oh and while I'm still in the MTC you guys can send me dearelder.com mail. They print it off the day you write it, it's no charge, and it'd be nice to get little letters/notes from the girls my last few days here.
I'm sending a letter home that has more stuff I wanted to write you. I really have no time at the computer! I've learned so much - like the Plan of Salvation! That was a remarkable lesson. It's amazing how much Heavenly Father wants us back home, and he asks for so little in return. I'll have to explain the lesson more later, but it was pretty much awesome. My testimony has grown so much in the two weeks it's crazy. I Know the Book of Mormon to be true, I Know Heavenly Father is there and He loves me and I know how much He loves all of you and wants the best for Every one of His children!
.
When it comes to lessons. I've taught more than half of them already. We converted Drew who was an athiest - he's "getting baptized" the saturday before we leave. We're teaching a girl from China who has absolutely NO religious background so we have to teach her Everything! And then we do lots of first lessons with random volunteers. It's been great and I've learned a lot from it. With this new program we don't teach the lessons word for word we "teach people not lessons." We invite the spirit and figure out what the investigator needs and go from there. So we follow a rough outline and thats it. I personally love it more than just reciting something even though Preach My Gospel is Amazing. You should all read it as a family together and study it - especially with this goal you have!
.
Well I love you all! I hope to hear from you soon! Keep reading, studying praying and drawing closer to the Savior and Do that missionary work. I love you and I'll talk to you soon!
.
Love, Sister Maureen Davis

1 comment:

  1. So great to hear from you Maureen, I mean Sister Davis! Sounds like the MTC is great! I am so proud of you and your decision to serve the Lord and the people in San Diego. I love you! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete